Foreign Registration

This page is written by basic information based on Hi-Korea.
For more information, please visit website of Hi-Korea. (

According to the Immigration Law, foreign registration is required for foreigners who intend to stay in Korea for more than 90 days from their arrival date. Foreign registration is affixed in the passport. The children of a registered foreigner in Korea can attend either Korean or foreign schools. In addition, registered foreigners can receive medical insurance benefits. However, a registered foreigner is given duties as a foreigner. Immigration Act 27 obliges foreigners over the age of 17 in Korea to carry the foreign registration card and to present it when requested by immigration officers or other public officers

Those Eligibility for Foreigner Registration

Foreigners intending to stay in Korea for more than 90 days after entry.

A former Korean who has acquired a foreign nationality after losing the Korean one or a foreigner born in Korea, who is given residence status and intends to stay for more than 90 days

Exceptions to Foreigner Registration - The followings are exempt from registering as foreigners

  • Those carrying out Diplomacy (A-1), Official business (A-2), or Conventions/Agreements (A-3) and their family members
  • Those undertaking diplomatic, industrial, or other important duties for the national security, their family members, and other foreigners found to be unnecessary to register as foreigners by the Minister of Justice
  • Foreigners from Canada intending to stay for less than 6 months, who have following visa status-> Cultural Arts (D-1), Religious Affairs (D-6), Family visitation (F-1), dependent Family (F-3), Miscellaneous (G-1)

Registration due by

Foreigners intending to stay for more than 90 days in Korea after entry
-> within 90 days of entry

Foreigners granted appropriate status or permission for a status change
-> Immediately after being notified of the new status.